Connecting from DbVisualizer to Dremio Cloud
You can use DbVisualizer to query and visualize data by means of Dremio Cloud.
You can use any version of DbVisualizer, as long as you use Dremio JDBC Driver 14.0.0 or later.
Supported Authentication Methods
There are two methods of authenticating that you can choose from when you connect from DbVisualizer to Dremio Cloud:
- Use Microsoft Azure Active Directory as an enterprise identity provider
To configure Microsoft Azure Active Directory, see Microsoft Azure Active Directory.
You can use Microsoft authentication only if the admin for your Dremio Cloud organization has enabled it.
- Use a personal access token (PAT) obtained from Dremio Cloud
To create a PAT, follow the steps in the section Creating a Token.
- Download the Dremio JDBC driver.
- If you do not want to connect to the default project in your Dremio organization, copy the ID of the Dremio Cloud project that you want to connect to. See Obtaining the ID of a Project for the steps. After you obtain it, save it somewhere that you can retrieve it from during the procedure.
Adding Dremio’s JDBC Driver to DbVisualizer’s Driver Manager
- Launch DbVisualizer.
- Select Tools > Driver Manager.
- In the Driver Name list of the Driver Manager dialog, select Dremio.
- Click the folder icon to find and select the downloaded Dremio JDBC driver.
- Close the Driver Manager dialog.
Creating a Connection
Select Database > Create Database Connection.
In the Use Connection Wizard? dialog, click No Wizard.
Name the connection.
Ensure that these default values are set:
Field Value Settings Format Server Info Database Type Auto Detect (Dremio) Driver Dremio Connection Type Direct
In the Database Server field, specify
In the Database Port field, specify
In the Database Userid and Database Password fields, specify your authentication credentials:
If you want to authenticate by using a Microsoft account and password, and Microsoft Azure Active Directory is configured as an enterprise identity provider for Dremio Cloud, specify the username and password for the account.
If you want to authenticate by using a personal access token, specify these values:
- In the Username field, type
- In the Password field, paste your personal access token.
- In the Username field, type
Click the plus sign to add a new parameter.
Name the parameter
truefor the value of this parameter.
If you do not want to connect to the default project in your organization, follow these steps:
a. Click the plus sign to add a new parameter.
b. Name the parameter
c. In the
Valuefield, paste the ID of the project that you want to connect to.
If the connection works, DbVisualizer displays a message that is similar to this one. The reported version numbers might differ.
Dremio Server 20.0.0-202112201840340507-df2e9b7c Dremio JDBC Driver 19.1.0-202111160130570172-0ee00450
You can now expand your Dremio connection to see a list of the spaces and data sources that are in the project.