Dremio's Text-to-SQL experience allows you to effortlessly convert natural language queries into SQL directly within the SQL Runner. The Text-to-SQL translation is based on a semantic understanding of metadata and data, resulting in the industry’s most accurate SQL generation.
Enable Generative AI
Opting into and enabling Generative AI provides you access to the Text-to-SQL experience and other features powered by Generative AI as they become available. You need to enable Generative AI for each project that you want to use it in.
To enable Generative AI:
- Go to Project Settings > Preferences.
- Toggle on the Generative AI Capabilities preference. You'll have access to the Text-to-SQL feature in the SQL Runner.
The Text-to-SQL experience processes natural language to produce SQL to analyze your one or more datasets. For an example, see the Analyzing Your Data with Text-to-SQL tutorial.
Click in the side navigation bar to go to the SQL Runner.
Click in the toolbar.
In the Data panel on the left, locate one or more datasets that you want to analyze. Drag and drop each dataset into the Datasets to analyze field and type in your question or message to the second field in the form. Click Generate.note
This feature only supports analyzing tables or views. Entire sources or folders are not supported.
The SQL is generated for you. To get the results, click Run.
- Neither Dremio nor our trained model partner (OpenAI) train models using customer data, which reduces the risk of IP leakage through passed context information.
- Dremio does not send underlying customer data to the models to prevent leakage of specific data such as rows in a table.
- Dremio does use schema information and dataset tags/wikis as model context. This means that any sensitive information in your table or column names, or in the dataset tags/wikis, could be passed to a model. Neither Dremio nor our trained model partner (Open AI) persists this context.
- Text-to-SQL is built on Dremio's existing, secure data platform. This feature is audited by the same practices and policies, including SOC 2 Type II. For more information, see Dremio Cloud Terms of Service.