Microsoft Power BI Desktop
You can use Microsoft Power BI Desktop to query data sources with Dremio.
- If you want to sign in to your Dremio cluster by using the username and password for a Microsoft account:
- Ensure that you are using a version of Power BI Desktop released in December 2021 or later.
- If you are using a version of Power BI Desktop earlier than the April 2022 release: Ensure that you are using version 126.96.36.1991 or later of Dremio’s ODBC driver. To get the latest version, go to the ODBC driver download page. Instructions for installing the driver are here.
- Ensure that your Dremio cluster is configured for authentication with Microsoft Azure Active Directory. For the requirements and steps, see Configuring Authorization for Microsoft Power BI.
- If you want to sign in to your Dremio cluster with a local username and password, ensure that Microsoft Power BI Desktop release August 2021 or later is installed on your system.
Setting Up Dremio as a Data Source
In Power BI Desktop, click Get data. The pins in this image show two locations for this option.
In the Get Data window, search on “Dremio”, select Dremio Software, and click Connect.
In the Dremio Software window, specify the hostname or IP address of your Dremio cluster, and select DirectQuery. Then, click OK.
Sign in to Dremio by using one of these options:
- If you want to sign in to your Dremio cluster by using the username and password for a Microsoft account, select Microsoft Account in the sidebar. If you are already signed into a Microsoft account, the username for it appears in the dialog. If that is the account you want to use, click Connect. Otherwise, click Sign in, specify your username and password, and then click Connect.
You can use Microsoft authentication only if the administrator for your Dremio organization has enabled it.
- If you want to sign in to your Dremio cluster with a local username and password, select Username/Password in the sidebar, specify your credentials, and then click Connect.
At this point, you can either continue by selecting a dataset or click Cancel. The next time you launch Power BI Desktop, you can select the connection by clicking Home in the menu bar and Recent sources in the ribbon bar.
Changing the Hostname
You can use the
export.bi.hostname support key to change the default hostname of the SQL endpoint for generating PBIDS files. The
property is available from Dremio version 13.0.0.
To know how to set the
export.bi.hostname support key, see Support Keys.