This topic covers the space entity of Dremio Cloud.
A space is a directory in which virtual datasets are saved. Spaces provide a way to group datasets by common themes such as a project, purpose, department, or geographic region. Spaces (including a user’s Home Space) can be further organized by creating a hierarchy of folders.
Spaces that are structured by purpose might look like this: The number that is in the Spaces navigation panel next to each space (for example 23 for the business space) indicates the number of virtual datasets in each Space (this includes datasets that are stored within a folder in the space).
Each user has a Home Space that can be used to upload local files or experimentation. A user’s home space and the contents of it are private to the user by default. To view your Home Space, click on the House icon and your username underneath the Datasets heading in the Datasets UI.
Paths are a dot-separated list that indicate the location of a dataset, starting with the name of the source or space in which that dataset resides, followed by any folders or data source structures, and ending in the name of the dataset. A path is used to qualify the dataset when referencing it in a query.
Here are some examples of what dataset paths look like:
- reporting is the name of the space
- usage and onprem_deployment are folders within the space
- daily_usage is the name of the virtual dataset
- Sales is the name of the space
- Transactions and North-America are folders within the space
- salesNY is the name of the virtual dataset
Viewing All Spaces
To view spaces, in the Datasets UI, click Spaces in the upper left-hand corner.
Adding a Space
To add a space:
In the Datasets UI, click the + button in the Spaces navigation or the Add Space button in the Spaces screen.
In the Add Space dialog, for Name, enter a unique name.
(Optional) For Privileges, enter the user name or role name that you want to grant access to and click the Add to Privileges button. The added user or role will be displayed in the Users table.
(Optional) For the users or roles in the Users table, toggle the green checkmark for each privilege you want to grant to the space that is being created. You can select from Select, Alter, Alter Reflection, View Reflection, Manage Grants, Modify. To remove an added privilege, click the green checkmark.
Adding a Folder
To add a folder:
- In the Datasets UI, navigate to the space where you want to add the folder.
- Click the Add Folder icon in the upper right.
- In the Add Folder dialog, for Folder Name, enter a unique name.
- Click Save.
Pinning a Space or Source
By default, spaces and sources are listed alphabetically. Pinned items get moved to the top of the list and are indicated with a pin icon, although pinned items are not saved if you open a new browser or clear the cache.
To pin a space, hover over the space name in the Spaces navigation and click the pin icon that appears. To unpin a space, click the pin icon again.
Removing a Space
To remove a space:
- In the Datasets UI, navigate to the space you want to remove.
- From the Action column, click the Settings (gear) icon and select Remove Space.
- Confirm that you want to remove the space.
Removing a Folder
To remove a folder:
- In the Datasets UI, navigate to the folder you want to remove.
- From the Action column, click the Ellipse (three dots) icon and select Remove Folder.
- Confirm that you want to remove the folder.